2021 marks the first time in 32 years we haven’t been able to gather as a parish family and celebrate and support our friends at San Ildefonso in Tenejapa, Chiapas, Mexico. But we can still help and have some fun doing it! Here’s how:
1. How about serving your favorite chili for dinner tonight?
2. For grace, how about a Tzeltal blessing? Tzeltal is the ancient Mayan language our sister parishioners speak:
CH’ULTESBEN HO’TIK KAJWAL, HA’TE JWE’ELTIK AWU’UN, MELEL HA’LEK AWO’TAN ALNICH’ANOTIK AWU’UN. HICHUK KAJWAL.
(Bless our food, Lord, for your heart is kind and we are your children. Amen.)
Follow this link to see Padre Tonio, pastor of San Ildefonso, singing the traditional Tzeltal meal blessing: https://youtu.be/UqHJYEtL67U.
3. Think back on all the fun you have had at the Chili Cook-Off over the years!
4. Share the fun – snap a selfie with your chili and dinner companions and share it with us. Send your snap to Laura Hancock at email@example.com.
5. Thinking about how we support our sister parish? Check out this video of our parish project to help San Ildefonso renovate its parish center: https://youtu.be/bWnX0UoUpnw.
And this 2 minute slideshow of the finished project, and other scenes from Chiapas: https://youtu.be/seMn2qLypV8.
5. Think you might like to make a modest gift to help our friends in Chiapas? Maybe what you would have contributed at the Cook-Off if we could have gathered as usual this year? Here’s a super-easy way to give online:
And gifts are always welcome at the parish office at 2491 N. Murray Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53211 (make checks payable to “SS Peter & Paul” with “Chiapas” in the memo line).
From all our friends in Chiapas, Wocolawal! From our friendly chili makers here in Milwaukee, See you in 2022!